Author Topic: KS Update #26  (Read 1770 times)

Roji

• Administrator
  • Jr. Survivor
    • Da-Hang-Out
KS Update #26
« on: July 18, 2015, 07:19:14 PM »
Let's talk monsters

Hey guys!
I know we've left this a little late considering we're starting to tie things up, but I thought I'd address this before we get closer to final release. A lot of people sent me messages with their concerns about the monsters of Koe only being animals or generic monsters, a design choice we made because we thought it'd be better if we taught animal names in battle as opposed to generic JRPG monsters. However, this does detract from the "RPG" feel of the game, so we're deciding to add some Japanese folklore monsters, most of which are adaptations of Youkai. A few have been mentioned to us on the forums, and our highest tier backers have some amazing ideas that we should start development on this month, but we'd like your input on this too. We'll create some polls on the forums again (there will also be an update) asking you what kind of monsters you'd like to see. The highest tier backer monsters so far, without giving too much away are a wolf samurai, black dragon, and snow king.

Content update

We're happy to say that the fantasy style (chibi) characters are now completed! While we still have a way to go making the animations, we are starting to integrate them into the current battle and world systems.

These are the final fantasy world characters we'll be showing for now, prototyping-tier backers will see some characters from the second batch in one of the sessions, but these will be untextured for now.

We have Jess Hyland to thank for her amazing speed and quality for these characters, also thanks to her modular workflow we've been able to add the wardrobe switches for the female character, you'll see these in customization options in the game.

Secondly, we've improved the quality of the school outer area (again) using more licensed assets. This will be a free-roam and story area despite what I had said before about scenes not being traversable, we're changing a few things in the prototyping build (and obviously final game) to make every scene free-roam so you can easy visit places you've been to again, even if you have no use for them in the story.

You may also notice our animations for these characters don't look so terrible anymore. I decided to create a few crude idle/walk/runs for the sake of testing while I was animating the monsters, though they will get properly polished in the final game. We've also extended the residence area to add a better feel of the ruralness of Japan, and the outer areas have been replaced with fields.

New event system

We've now changed the way events are handled in the game, before the game would load everything and delete what wasn't needed depending on what part you were in the game. We've now created an event based scene system which doesn't have anything in the scene to begin with, then loads everything as it is needed. This makes loading times a lot faster, and a lot easier for us to create and add events without cluttering everything up in the scene at the same time.

Without giving away too many spoilers, this first area loads the pens and boarding cards for when you first enter Japan only.

As I'm still not happy with the current state of the new battle layout because we only just received the new models and are integrating them, I'll leave you with one of the UI changes we've made to the revamp before the big reveal.

Prototyping (£100) tier backers and above

If you are a backer of this tier or above, I have created a hidden subforum where the builds will be distributed. I can only add people manually to the subforum, so please contact me through Kickstarter with your e-mail address and username you used to sign up to the official strawberry games forum Here and I'll unhide the subforum for you.

We are adding the finishing touches to the first prototyping build (movement and camera) which should be available sometime in the next few days. We were planning on releasing this yesterday (17th) but had a few animation and tracking issues once we had swapped to the new set of models. Feel free to send me your requests to prototyping subforum now regardless.

Finally, we'd also like to draw your attention to http://www.da-hang-out.com which may very well be Koe's first fan site created by our very own Roji Kage.

That's all for now! Let's hope we have some awesome new designs for monsters to show you in the next update.

The Strawberry Games Team.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 05:49:39 PM by Roji »
╔═╦╗╔╦╗╔═╦═╦╦╦╦╗╔═╗
║╚╣║║║╚╣╚╣╔╣╔╣║╚╣═╣
╠╗║╚╝║║╠╗║╚╣║║║║║═╣
╚═╩══╩═╩═╩═╩╝╚╩═╩═╝

Google+